How Much Does This Cost and How Much in Assets Does a Client Need? April 3, 2014
- The most common question I see from Attorneys interested in adding Asset Protection to their practice is: How much net worth does a client need to consider asset protection? And then how much is it going to cost them?
What is Fraudulent Conveyance? (An Analysis) August 5, 2014
- The concept of Fraudulent Conveyance is one of the most often asked about issues when I speak with a new client. In this article we will take a much closer look at what it really is.
How to Pick an Asset Protection Lawyer June 11, 2015
- The last four years has created an explosion in the Asset Protection planning field due to both the large number of people who have finally realized that their wealth is more finite and fragile than they ever imagined and the litigation boom that inevitably follows tough times.
The Checks and Balances Of Asset Protection June 11, 2015
- How can a client be sure that the new foreign Trustee doesn’t run away with the money should we ever need to use the Trust?
A Real World Example Where Flexibility And Optics Made All The Difference July 13, 2016
- In litigation, flexibility is the key to winning. No litigator wants to go into the courtroom with only one argument. Prosecutors go for multiple ‘lesser included charges’ just to make sure they leave with a conviction. Defense attorneys prepare as many defenses as possible, even though just one winning argument is enough.
Who Needs Asset Protection? July 19, 2016
- Our legal system has come to resemble a perverse redistribution-of-wealth scheme that encourages plaintiffs, who risk nothing, to sue anyone who may appear to have the ability to pay.
Why Real Estate Is Different August 10, 2016
- I often get questions that point to a very important distinction within asset protection. They basically go like this: "Doug I heard you describe why you consider real estate assets as different from cash or liquid assets because a local judge could order those properties sold no matter who they are titled too. What use is an LLC or an LP if the judge can disregard it?"
Key Concepts of Asset Protection: Podcast Series October 14, 2016
- Welcome to the Key Concepts of Asset Protection. My name is Douglass Lodmell, Asset Protection attorney and founder of the Asset Protection Council. In this podcast series, you will learn about the 15 Key Concepts that I consider critical if you want to understand what Asset Protection Really is, and how it actually works.
Entities Must Now Report Specified Foreign Assets on Form 8938 January 31, 2017
- Recently created rules outlining IRS reporting requirements for entities with foreign asset holdings or transactions are in effect this tax season – and failing to follow the new rules can result in significant penalties. The rules will require covered domestic corporations, partnerships and trusts – which are considered formed or availed of for the purpose...
IRS Finalizes Reporting Requirements for Foreign-Owned U.S. Disregarded Entities January 31, 2017
- The Internal Revenue Service and Department of the Treasury recently finalized regulations that create additional reporting requirements for foreign-owned entities in the United States. Specifically, the new rules require domestic disregarded entities wholly owned by a foreign individual (single-member LLCs) to annually identify its beneficial owner to the IRS in a Form 5472 filing. The...